Monday 3 September 2012

Music is very addictive............Desist from listening to music and songs

Music is very addictive; if one listens to it, the effect is like that of drugs or smoking – you want more and more, and pretty soon it becomes very difficult or seemingly impossible to stop.

Muadda Ibne Ziyad says: I was in the company of Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq (peace be upon him) when a person said, "When I go to the toilet, I can hear the singing girls next door. Sometimes I remain (in the toilet) longer so that I may listen to more of it." Imam said in reply: "Desist from listening to music and songs attentively." The man further said: "Master, I do not go to music gatherings! I only hear the sounds!" Imam replied: "Have you not read this Qur'anic verse? – 'Surely, the hearing and the sight and the heart, all of these shall be questioned about.'" (17:36) The man said: "I was not aware of this verse. I regret my actions. I shall not do so in the future. I repent for my past sins, and I seek forgiveness from my Lord."

Seeing his condition, Imam said: "Get up! Go and perform Ghusl and offer Salat and pray for forgiveness. You have certainly been involved in a deadly sin and a terrible situation. You have repented for it, and I thank Allah for that; and I seek forgiveness of Allah for all those things that He dislikes. Certainly, Allah only dislikes the evil things. Leave the evil things to the evil people, because there are different people suitable for different things." (Al-Kafi)

This incident teaches us that no matter where we are, no matter how attractive the voice may be, we should restrain ourselves from listening to music – even if we are faced with it without initially intending to listen to it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home